The class-scheduling paradigm is required to be adhered to by classes offered in all instructional space.
Class Scheduling Time Blocks
- M/W 80 minute classes: 8:00, 12:45, 2:15, 3:45, 5:15, 6:45, 8:15
- T/TH 80 minute classes: 8:00, 9:30, 11:00, 12:30, 2:00, 3:30, 5:00, 6:30, 8:00
- W/F 80 minute classes: 8:00, 12:45, 2:15, 3:45
- M/W/F 55 minute classes: 8:25, 9:30, 10:35, 11:40, 12:45
Syracuse University guidelines for calculating contact time in the classroom:
- One-day class patterns:Undergraduate and graduate classes meeting once per week must start and end at standard meeting times.
- Meeting patterns for classes of four or more credits: Courses of four or more credits may meet in one of several combinations, e.g., two 55-minute periods and two 80-minute periods, but all should be combinations of standard meeting times.
- Undergraduate classes, except for labs, studios or seminar courses, may not have meeting periods longer than 80-minutes without an approved class exception proposal on file.
- Classes for first year students with enrollments of more than 50 must have an associated recitation or discussion section of no more than 25 students.
Only selected or variable topic courses, cross-listed courses, and double-numbered courses may meet together.