Undergraduate Advising

  1. Schools and colleges require advising for some or all undergraduates before they are allowed to register. Advising policies vary among colleges, and for dually enrolled students the home college’s rules apply. Each college’s policy is managed by a college specific “advising hold.” You may access the information either through the Holds section or the View Holds link in the Student Services section in MySlice. Home college advising policies are accessible on the Registrar’s homepage, registrar.syr.edu. The advising hold will block a student’s ability to successfully register for classes until it is removed.
  2. It is essential that students make appointments to see their advisors before registration begins. It can take one or more business days after the appointment before the advising hold will be removed. Registration cannot occur until the hold is removed.
  3. Prior to the advising conference, students should sketch out a set of first choice and alternate courses on the Course Worksheet. A complete selection of alternate courses/sections should be entered on the worksheet in case any first choices are unavailable at the time of registration.
  4. Depending on the home college’s protocol for removing advising holds, students and advisors may be required to complete and sign the Advising Form as a record of the agreed-upon courses. Students may then be asked to take the signed Dean’s Office copy to their dean’s/departmental office to have the hold removed. Or the advisor may communicate directly with that office to authorize removal of the hold.
  5. For classes that have restrictions or require special permission, students must contact the department of class origin to obtain permission to register.

University College

Part-time students in the Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP) or those who hold one-term trial, UC special student, or probation status will be placed on advising hold. Students will receive a letter from the UC Student Administrative Services office two weeks before registration begins. Such students must meet with an academic advisor before registering. The letter will include directions for scheduling an advising appointment, or students can call UC at (315) 443-3261. Registration cannot occur until the hold is removed. http://parttime.syr.edu