Transcripts FAQ

Q1: Can my transcript be sent by email?
A: Yes. We now offer email delivery for transcripts housed on our current student records system. Put the email address* for the recipient on your request and we will send that person an email with a link to our secure server for him/her to pick up the PDF of your transcript.

Transcripts prior to 1984 which are on micro-film or micro-fiche cannot be sent by email delivery. A mailing address must be provided for these records.

* The email address must be complete, correct, and legible when you submit your request.

Q2: Will this email be sent the same day I request it?
A: No. It will be sent the next business day when we start our transcript processing for the day.
Q3: Why am I limited to one copy per email address?
A: The recipient is picking up the transcript PDF at our secure server. He/she can save as many copies as are required.
Q4: Are email delivered transcripts official?
A: Transcripts made available via our secure server are considered official only in the PDF format. Should the recipient print the transcript, save the transcript in a different format, or forward the transcript to a third party, those copies would be considered unofficial. Transcripts retrieved by students via our secure server are noted “Official Transcript Issued Directly to Student” and should be considered for student use only.
Q5: How long will the recipient have access to my transcript?
A: Once they open the email and click on the link it will be available to them for 60 days.
Q6: Can I still request a transcript in-person?
A: Yes, you can still come to 106 Steele Hall to get a hard copy of your transcript. Be sure to bring your photo identification with you.
Q7: Can my friend pick up a copy of my transcript?
A: Yes, if your friend brings in a signed letter from you giving us permission to release the transcript to him/her. Your friend will need to present photo identification.
Q8: Can I still get a hard copy of my transcript sent out by regular mail?
A: Yes, give us the name of the recipient and the mailing address on your request and we will send it out regular mail.
Q9: How long does it take for my request to be processed?
A: We process requests in the order they are received. We process those sent by email, those with deadlines, and overnight requests first. We strive for 48 hour turn around, but, these can take longer when we have a high volume of requests.
Q10: Can I get a hard copy of my transcript sent overnight mail?
A: Yes. You must provide us with a pre-paid shipping label from either UPS or US Postal Service in addition to your transcript request. We do not accept FedEx shipping labels. If you are requesting this through MySlice or the On Line Order Form you will upload the shipping label as an attachment. If you are using the Transcript Request Form you will fax the shipping label as page 2 of your fax. Overnight requests are processed and sent out the next business day from the day they are received in the Transcript Office. If a pre-paid shipping label is not provided, or, is not from UPS or USPS the transcripts will be sent out regular mail.
Q11: Can I still order my transcript by fax, regular mail or overnight mail?
A: Yes, written and fax requests can be made by printing, completing and signing the Transcript Request Form.

Fax: (315) 443-7994.

Fax requests receive the same priority as requests received by mail on the same day.

Requests sent by US mail or overnight courier should be mailed to:

Syracuse University Transcript Office
109 Steele Hall
Syracuse, New York 13244-1120

Q12: How is the transcript constructed?
A: Official transcripts show the entire record of all coursework, undergraduate and graduate, matriculated and non-matriculated. Undergraduate and graduate transcript records print as separate pages, but are issued and sent together for students with more than one SU academic career.

Coursework is displayed chronologically within each career record, with one GPA calculation for the career. However, within that distinction the transcript is not degree-specific, i.e., it does not designate courses that apply to multiple specific degree programs at the same level. Such information may only be obtained from the student’s school/college for undergraduate degrees, the academic department for graduate programs, or the College of Law for law degrees.