Four steps for graduating students:
- File for Diploma through your MySlice account.
- Visit commencement.syr.edu for the most current updates about the 2022 Commencement ceremony.
- Complete the First Destination Survey on Handshake.
- Visit the Campus store’s graduation page for cap and gown orders and more.
On This Page
Getting ready to graduate? Tell us!
Graduating students must notify the University that they intend to graduate through the File Diploma Request process, accessed through MySlice. Only students who complete this process are included in degree certification review. Commencement information is only sent to students who have filed a diploma request.
Log in to MySlice > Student Home > Academics > Diploma Request. Specify the term (fall, spring, or summer) and provide information for the diploma, including a mailing address.
Complete this process prior to the start of your final semester and also contact your home school or college to review all graduation requirements.
The Graduate School establishes deadlines to file for graduation, published on their website as Graduation Deadlines . Also consult your department regarding deadlines and for information regarding completion of requirements.
Each undergraduate school and college certifies the completion of its students’ degree requirements. Minors are also certified by a student’s school/college. For graduate students, certification of degrees and certificates of advanced study may be handled by their department or by the Graduate Certification office in 304 Lyman Hall. The certification process generally takes four to six weeks after the completion of requirements.
Once certification is complete, the Registrar’s Office posts the award and orders the diploma. When posted, the degree appears on the academic transcript. Minors also appear on the transcript once the degree is posted and the minor is certified as complete.
Syracuse University awards degrees and certificates four times per year: in May, June or July, August, and December. Students’ degrees are awarded for the award date that falls on or after the date on which all degree requirements were completed.
Graduation and Commencement
Syracuse University has one graduation ceremony each year, in May.
Only students who file a diploma request will receive information about commencement. See the commencement website for more information about eligibility, dates, activities, etc.
Other information related to commencement, such as cap and gown ordering, can be found through the University Bookstore.
Syracuse University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide degree and enrollment verification.
After a degree or certificate of advanced study (C.A.S.) is awarded, diplomas and certificates are ordered for students who have cleared all Office of Judicial Affairs holds and financial obligations to the University. Diplomas and certificates are mailed to the address provided in the file diploma request process (see above).
Order a Diploma Replacement and eDiploma Online
The following services are available online through our official diploma vendor, the Michael Sutter Company.
- Order a replacement diploma – Order your diploma easily online. You will be able to choose Standard Delivery or Express Overnight Delivery. There is a $15.00 charge for Bachelor’s, Master’s, and certificates. Doctoral and JD replacements are $20.00. Your Diploma will be printed and mailed within 1-2 days of your order.
- Order an Official eDiploma – Your Syracuse University eDiploma is a Signed and Certified PDF of your original paper diploma used for easy diploma verification purposes. The Syracuse University eDiploma is a one-time charge of $5. You will receive your eDiploma within minutes of ordering. You can then share your eDiploma as often as you need.
- Diploma Status – Search the status of your diploma order whether it is your new diploma or replacement diploma.