Special Program/Course Procedures

Syracuse University Abroad (SUAb)

If you are attending Syracuse University Abroad (SUAb), plan to meet with your academic advisor prior to going abroad. Registration for the next main campus term will take place while you are abroad and you’ll use MySlice to enroll in classes via the internet. The home colleges will advise their students on the proper procedure just prior to the start of registration. You are responsible for clearing all holds prior to registration. SUAb students who do not register during the registration period may not register until the first day of classes. Such students must follow late registration procedures and will be charged the late registration fee. Once you are accepted to a SUAb program you should not register for main campus classes for the semester in which you will study abroad. Once SUAb notifies the Registrar’s Office you have been accepted for study abroad, if you have already registered for the future semester, the registration will be canceled. Schedules will not be reinstated if you subsequently decide not to participate in the SUAb program, and you would then follow late registration procedures.

Extended Campus

The School of Education offers classes in its program areas through extended campus. Graduate students who meet class requirements are eligible to register for these classes and may request information from the School of Education.

SUNY ESF Classes

Syracuse University students may register for SUNY/ESF classes provided they meet all course and/or class restrictions. Registration is subject to the availability of classes. Syracuse University students may register for these classes via MySlice, just as they would for any Syracuse University class.

SUNY UMU Classes

Registration for courses at SUNY Upstate Medical University (UMU) is restricted to graduate students. Students should secure the permission of their SU advisor and the College of Graduate Studies, SUNY UMU, 766 Irving Avenue, before registration.

College of Professional Studies Classes

Main campus students may register for College of Professional Studies classes which are listed after the Main Campus section of classes in the Schedule of Classes and identified by section numbers beginning with “U.”

Registration for more than 19 credits

Honors Program students are eligible to register for more than 19 credits without special approval. Other undergraduates who wish to register for more than 19 credits must petition their home college to do so. (See the Bursar’s Tuition, Fees, and Related Policies Bulletin  for information about related tuition charges.)

Registration for a class outside your (Undergraduate) academic career

Students may register for classes that are outside of their career with the approval of the department offering the class and their academic program, school, or college.

Procedure: To register for a 600-or-above-numbered class undergraduates need to submit a petition with approval of the department offering the class and their home school/college. Students who want to take a course as restricted graduate credit, with the intention of later applying it toward an SU graduate degree or certificate program, must also obtain verification from their school/college of their remaining credits, cumulative gpa, and a statement that the course is not required for completion of their undergraduate degree.

The petition must then be approved by the Graduate School. Approved petitions must be submitted to the Registrar’s Office, by email to registrar@syr.edu or via the grad department OnBase scan queue, by the Add deadline. (Note that the Petition to the Faculty form will override the career (graduate) restriction only; additional clearance may be needed from the department offering the class.)